Free blog is a place where you have to pay nothing to own your website. It sounds so good that you can have your company or personal website without paying a dime. This is why people love to go for a free blog when they want to have a website.
Making a free blog is not bad at all. After all many big companies like Google Inc runs its free blogs on blogspot (blogger.com) for their several products. So, why can’t you?
There is no harm in using free blogging platforms like blogger.com or wordpress.com. These platforms are internationally recognized and very easy to use that anyone having less technical knowledge can get his blog up and running. There are many cool features available that a blog owner can enjoy without spending bucks.
Free Blog vs Paid Blog
Let’s have a quick comparison between free and paid blog hosting which can definitely help you understand the pros and cons of both. With this comparison you can easily determine that which is more suitable for your needs.
First thing first, there are few questions which you should ask yourself before getting started:
- Why do you want to host a website? Just for fun or are you serious because of some business stuff?
- Will you able to update and maintain your blog regularly?
- Do you have sufficient budget to pay for your domain and web hosting service?
- Do you want or have any plan to monetize your website in future?
Okay so now you have clear requirements in your mind and you know what you want and why you want to start a blog. Now, you should check below points so you could know that which one is better for you:
Free blogging platform pros:
- No budget required for website hosting.
- Easy and quick setup after registering your account e.g. yoursitename.wordpress.com
- Free design customization with available themes and templates.
- No technical knowledge required for database or hosting panel.
- Server uptime guaranteed.
Free blogging platform cons:
- Does not look professional because you don’t have your own domain name e.g. www.yoursitename.com
- You can not fully monetize your blog. For example have a look at this Advertising Policy of wordpress.com
Self hosted blog pros:
- Looks more professional because of your domain name, and shows that you are a serious blogger
- More chances to boost your brand identity.
- You can fully monetize it by displaying Ads, affiliated marketing links or whatever you want, because its all yours.
- Best suitable if you are selling any products or offering services. People will trust you more.
Self hosted blog cons:
- Domain and web hosting costs
- Website downtime issue if not hosted on reliable web server.
- Needs technical knowledge of database and web programming.
So, as you have seen both sides of both options. The choice is yours. You should go for what suits you best. I must say that if you are a beginner and want to have some practice before you invest some money. You should at least once try to make a free blog. Then, if you have developed interest in it you can go for the paid one.